This week, Beautiful – The Carole King Musical is at Dr. Phillips Center, and I had the opportunity to see the show opening night.
The musical tells the story of singer-songwriter Carole King, starting with her teenage years in the 1950’s when she met her husband Gerry Goffin and the two began writing songs together.
I knew King had written a few of the classics from the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was amazed at how many songs she wrote that I didn’t know about.
Among the King/Goffin hits performed in the musical are “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” by The Shirelles, “One Fine Day” by The Chiffons, “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters, and “Pleasant Valley Sunday” by The Monkees.
They even wrote a song for their babysitter Little Eva – “The Loco-Motion” hit #1 on the charts and has been covered by Kylie Minogue in the 80s.
The musical also delves into King’s personal life, including troubles with her husband, and the birth of their daughter.
All of this leads up to King writing her hit album, Tapestry, and includes several songs from that, including “I Feel the Earth Move,” which closes the show.
This was an amazing show. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is at turns witty and funny, then poignant and emotional, and the musical performances take you right back to that era. I highly recommend seeing it if you can.
Tickets are still available for Beautiful – The Carole King Musical for shows through Sunday, May 8, at drphillipscenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received tickets for this review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- D23: New Entertainment Theater to Debut at Magic Kingdom - July 22, 2017
- D23: Disney Announces Official Name for Star Wars Lands at the Parks - July 21, 2017
- D23: Toy Story Land to Open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Summer 2018 - July 21, 2017
- D23: Star Wars Resort Announced for Walt Disney World - July 20, 2017
- D23: Ratatouille Attraction Coming to France Pavilion at Epcot By 2021 - July 20, 2017
- Shepherd’s Hope to Offer Free Back-to-School Physicals for Children July 31-Aug 10 - July 19, 2017
- D23: New Disney Skyliner to Transport Guests at Walt Disney World - July 19, 2017
- Breaking News: The Great Movie Ride to Close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios August 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra October 8, 2017 - July 18, 2017
- Breaking News: Universe of Energy to Close at Epcot August 2017 - July 18, 2017