This week, Beautiful – The Carole King Musical is at Dr. Phillips Center, and I had the opportunity to see the show opening night.
The musical tells the story of singer-songwriter Carole King, starting with her teenage years in the 1950’s when she met her husband Gerry Goffin and the two began writing songs together.
I knew King had written a few of the classics from the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was amazed at how many songs she wrote that I didn’t know about.
Among the King/Goffin hits performed in the musical are “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” by The Shirelles, “One Fine Day” by The Chiffons, “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters, and “Pleasant Valley Sunday” by The Monkees.
They even wrote a song for their babysitter Little Eva – “The Loco-Motion” hit #1 on the charts and has been covered by Kylie Minogue in the 80s.
The musical also delves into King’s personal life, including troubles with her husband, and the birth of their daughter.
All of this leads up to King writing her hit album, Tapestry, and includes several songs from that, including “I Feel the Earth Move,” which closes the show.
This was an amazing show. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is at turns witty and funny, then poignant and emotional, and the musical performances take you right back to that era. I highly recommend seeing it if you can.
Tickets are still available for Beautiful – The Carole King Musical for shows through Sunday, May 8, at drphillipscenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received tickets for this review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Will Raise a Glass to Support UCP of Central Florida Through April 13, 2017 - March 27, 2017
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017