This week, Beautiful – The Carole King Musical is at Dr. Phillips Center, and I had the opportunity to see the show opening night.
The musical tells the story of singer-songwriter Carole King, starting with her teenage years in the 1950’s when she met her husband Gerry Goffin and the two began writing songs together.
I knew King had written a few of the classics from the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was amazed at how many songs she wrote that I didn’t know about.
Among the King/Goffin hits performed in the musical are “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” by The Shirelles, “One Fine Day” by The Chiffons, “Up on the Roof” by The Drifters, and “Pleasant Valley Sunday” by The Monkees.
They even wrote a song for their babysitter Little Eva – “The Loco-Motion” hit #1 on the charts and has been covered by Kylie Minogue in the 80s.
The musical also delves into King’s personal life, including troubles with her husband, and the birth of their daughter.
All of this leads up to King writing her hit album, Tapestry, and includes several songs from that, including “I Feel the Earth Move,” which closes the show.
This was an amazing show. The cast is stellar, the dialogue is at turns witty and funny, then poignant and emotional, and the musical performances take you right back to that era. I highly recommend seeing it if you can.
Tickets are still available for Beautiful – The Carole King Musical for shows through Sunday, May 8, at drphillipscenter.org.
Disclaimer: I received tickets for this review. As always, my opinions are honest and my own.
- 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo Teams with Free School’s Out Blow Out June 2-3, 2017 - May 26, 2017
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017