Today Walt Disney World announced they were delaying the opening of Rivers of Light, the new nighttime show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
The company had planned to open it April 22, but have now pushed the date back to a tentative mid-to-late May.
Rivers of Light features water, mist screens, floating lanterns, lights, fog, projection mapping and live performers, as well as incorporating the Tree of Life. It will be located in the park’s Discovery River lagoon between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest. The show will seat only 5,000 guests – by comparison Fantasmic’s theater holds 6,900.
The photo above was shot during a rehersal, and is courtesy of Disney Parks.
Also delayed was another component of the new nightly experience at the park: the Nighttime Magic at the Tree of Life. During this show, swirling animated imagery that tells enchanting stories from nature is projected onto the Tree, similar to the projections on Cinderella’s Castle during “Wishes.”
Here’s a sneak peek of it, also courtesy of Disney Parks:
I know I’m really excited to see both of these shows, but I’d rather Disney fine tune the show before releasing it to the public. What do you think? Are you ok with the delay, or do you think they should just open and then deal with any issues that arise? Let us know in comments.
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017