Soccer fans get ready for next summer when Orlando acts as an official host city for the Copa America Centenario 2016 at the Orlando Citrus Bowl.
Set to be held in venues across the United States from June 3-26, the 2016 edition signifies the 100-year anniversary of the highly popular South American tournament.
Featuring the top stars from the Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (CONMEBOL) and the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) regions – such as five-time FIFA World Cup champion Brazil, and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi of Argentina – this year’s Copa America also marks the first time this premier event has been staged outside of South America.
The 2016 Copa America Centenario will feature six teams from CONCACAF and all 10 teams from CONMEBOL: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Orlando City SC, the Central Florida Sports Commission, Orlando Venues and Orange County Government worked in partnership to bring the prestigious Latin American championship to the Orlando Citrus Bowl, and to Central Florida, for the first time in its history. In addition, partnerships with Florida Citrus Sports, tourism leaders and the local business community were integral in securing the event.
“Hosting the Copa America Centenario at the Orlando Citrus Bowl is a great example of what our community can accomplish when we come together for a common goal,” said Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs. “These events are not only exciting opportunities for our residents, but will draw thousands of people from across the world benefiting our local economy. The tournament is expected to draw approximately 40,000 room nights and projected to yield $30 million in economic impact to Orange County.”
Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and Orlando City B season ticket holders, along with members of other sports-related organizations who contributed to making Orlando the “Soccer Capital of the South,” will be eligible for an exclusive private sale. More information on the ticket allocation process will be communicated in the coming weeks.
For more information, fans can visit ca2016.com.
[Photo courtesy ISIphotos.com]
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017