Soccer fans get ready for next summer when Orlando acts as an official host city for the Copa America Centenario 2016 at the Orlando Citrus Bowl.
Set to be held in venues across the United States from June 3-26, the 2016 edition signifies the 100-year anniversary of the highly popular South American tournament.
Featuring the top stars from the Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (CONMEBOL) and the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) regions – such as five-time FIFA World Cup champion Brazil, and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi of Argentina – this year’s Copa America also marks the first time this premier event has been staged outside of South America.
The 2016 Copa America Centenario will feature six teams from CONCACAF and all 10 teams from CONMEBOL: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Orlando City SC, the Central Florida Sports Commission, Orlando Venues and Orange County Government worked in partnership to bring the prestigious Latin American championship to the Orlando Citrus Bowl, and to Central Florida, for the first time in its history. In addition, partnerships with Florida Citrus Sports, tourism leaders and the local business community were integral in securing the event.
“Hosting the Copa America Centenario at the Orlando Citrus Bowl is a great example of what our community can accomplish when we come together for a common goal,” said Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs. “These events are not only exciting opportunities for our residents, but will draw thousands of people from across the world benefiting our local economy. The tournament is expected to draw approximately 40,000 room nights and projected to yield $30 million in economic impact to Orange County.”
Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and Orlando City B season ticket holders, along with members of other sports-related organizations who contributed to making Orlando the “Soccer Capital of the South,” will be eligible for an exclusive private sale. More information on the ticket allocation process will be communicated in the coming weeks.
For more information, fans can visit ca2016.com.
[Photo courtesy ISIphotos.com]
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Offering Tito’s Vodka Bottle Engravings June 30-July 2 - June 25, 2017
- Holler and Dash to Host Biscuits and Brews Evening Event on June 29 - June 24, 2017
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2017 Epcot Food & Wine Festival - June 23, 2017
- Hard Rock International Announces New Hotel Location in Daytona Beach - June 20, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017
- Gods & Monsters Celebrates 2nd Anniversary June 17, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Orlando United Day is a Day of Rememberance - June 12, 2017
- Bite30 Returns in June 2017 with Orlando Dining Deals - June 5, 2017
- Wild Florida Welcomes Rare White Alligators and Launches Naming Contest - June 4, 2017
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Returns June 6 Offering $1 Films for Families - June 3, 2017