Soccer fans get ready for next summer when Orlando acts as an official host city for the Copa America Centenario 2016 at the Orlando Citrus Bowl.
Set to be held in venues across the United States from June 3-26, the 2016 edition signifies the 100-year anniversary of the highly popular South American tournament.
Featuring the top stars from the Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (CONMEBOL) and the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) regions – such as five-time FIFA World Cup champion Brazil, and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi of Argentina – this year’s Copa America also marks the first time this premier event has been staged outside of South America.
The 2016 Copa America Centenario will feature six teams from CONCACAF and all 10 teams from CONMEBOL: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Orlando City SC, the Central Florida Sports Commission, Orlando Venues and Orange County Government worked in partnership to bring the prestigious Latin American championship to the Orlando Citrus Bowl, and to Central Florida, for the first time in its history. In addition, partnerships with Florida Citrus Sports, tourism leaders and the local business community were integral in securing the event.
“Hosting the Copa America Centenario at the Orlando Citrus Bowl is a great example of what our community can accomplish when we come together for a common goal,” said Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs. “These events are not only exciting opportunities for our residents, but will draw thousands of people from across the world benefiting our local economy. The tournament is expected to draw approximately 40,000 room nights and projected to yield $30 million in economic impact to Orange County.”
Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and Orlando City B season ticket holders, along with members of other sports-related organizations who contributed to making Orlando the “Soccer Capital of the South,” will be eligible for an exclusive private sale. More information on the ticket allocation process will be communicated in the coming weeks.
For more information, fans can visit ca2016.com.
[Photo courtesy ISIphotos.com]
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup: January 19, 2018: Marlow’s Tavern, The Glass Knife, Brews ‘n’Blues, and More - January 19, 2018
- Praise Wave 2018 Starts at SeaWorld Orlando Jan 20 - January 19, 2018
- James Taylor to Play Two Central Florida Shows with Bonnie Raitt in May 2018 - January 18, 2018
- LEGO® NINJAGO® Days Take Over LEGOLAND Florida Weekends in Jan-Feb 2018 #BuiltForKids - January 18, 2018
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks On January 18 Around Orlando - January 17, 2018
- Supernatural Convention Comes to Orlando for First Time Jan 19-21, 2018 - January 17, 2018
- Out and About: Otronicon 2018 at the Orlando Science Center Proves STEM is Fun - January 16, 2018
- BIG Something to Play The Social in Orlando on January 17, 2018 - January 15, 2018
- UFC FIGHT NIGHT® Returns to Amway Center with Action-Packed Card February 24, 2018 - January 15, 2018
- Meet the Teams for the Pro Bowl Game in Orlando January 28, 2018 #ProBowlOrlando #ThisIsOrlando - January 14, 2018