After a week-long battle, a wife and husband barbecue competition team from Kansas beat more than 1,100 competitive chefs, home cooks and food sport enthusiasts for the World Food Championships title in Central Florida on November 10.
Cheryl and Loren Hill, three-time qualifiers for the World Food Championships, not only won the $100,000 grand prize, but also took home an additional $10,000 for winning the Barbeque qualifying category, as did the eight other finalists who won their qualifying category:
- World Barbecue Champion and overall World Food Champion – Loren Hill, Overland Park, Kansas
- World Bacon Champion – Stephen Coe, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- World Burger Champion – Rusty Johnson, Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
- World Dessert Champion – Lynn Smith, Acworth, Georgia
- World Recipe Champion – Alethia Shih, San Jose, California
- World Pasta Champion – Suzanne Clark, Phoenix, Arizona
- World Seafood Champion – Cindy Taffel, Pompano Beach, Florida
- World Sandwich Champion – Lori Rukstales, Roberts, Wisconsin
- World Chili Champion – Wayne Shymko, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Judges for the Final Table included: Chef Justin Timineri (C.E.C.), Florida’s executive chef and Culinary Ambassador; Chef Kevin Fonzo of K Restaurant and Wine Bar in Orlando, Emily Ellyn of Food Network fame; Diva Q, Danielle Bennett, the most decorated female in the competitive BBQ world; and Kari Karch, World Food Championships’ co-host and Kenmore brand spokesperson
The World Food Championships competition drew thousands of foodies and Food Sport enthusiasts to Central Florida, elevating hotel bookings, restaurant spending and other community revenue metrics that come with such signature events.
They also hosted the first ever Food, Fight, Write competition among food bloggers, which was recapped by our guest author Anna-Marie Walsh.
No word if the World Food Championships will return to Central Florida next year, but we hope they will. For more information on the event, visit worldfoodchampionships.com.
[Image courtesy World Food Championships]
- Paul McCartney to Bring #OneonOne Tour to Tampa and Miami June 2017 - April 27, 2017
- Dancers Julianne and Derek Hough Bring 2017 Tour to Dr Phillips Center May 16 - April 26, 2017
- Wild Florida Launches First Annual Gator Week May 2017 - April 24, 2017
- Rock & Brews Opens Second Central Florida Location in Orlando April 24 - April 21, 2017
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents Eddie Money April 27 - April 20, 2017
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Hosts Jake’s Beer Dinner April 28 - April 19, 2017
- Out and About: Create Your Nature Offers Healthy Delicious Food in Winter Park #getyourbowlon - April 18, 2017
- Six Orlando Restaurants to be Featured on Upcoming ‘Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives’ Episodes - April 17, 2017
- Walt Disney World Announces Dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - April 16, 2017
- Planet Fitness Offers Free HydroMassage to Soothe Tax Day Stress April 15-22, 2017 - April 15, 2017