After a week-long battle, a wife and husband barbecue competition team from Kansas beat more than 1,100 competitive chefs, home cooks and food sport enthusiasts for the World Food Championships title in Central Florida on November 10.
Cheryl and Loren Hill, three-time qualifiers for the World Food Championships, not only won the $100,000 grand prize, but also took home an additional $10,000 for winning the Barbeque qualifying category, as did the eight other finalists who won their qualifying category:
- World Barbecue Champion and overall World Food Champion – Loren Hill, Overland Park, Kansas
- World Bacon Champion – Stephen Coe, Plymouth, Massachusetts
- World Burger Champion – Rusty Johnson, Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
- World Dessert Champion – Lynn Smith, Acworth, Georgia
- World Recipe Champion – Alethia Shih, San Jose, California
- World Pasta Champion – Suzanne Clark, Phoenix, Arizona
- World Seafood Champion – Cindy Taffel, Pompano Beach, Florida
- World Sandwich Champion – Lori Rukstales, Roberts, Wisconsin
- World Chili Champion – Wayne Shymko, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Judges for the Final Table included: Chef Justin Timineri (C.E.C.), Florida’s executive chef and Culinary Ambassador; Chef Kevin Fonzo of K Restaurant and Wine Bar in Orlando, Emily Ellyn of Food Network fame; Diva Q, Danielle Bennett, the most decorated female in the competitive BBQ world; and Kari Karch, World Food Championships’ co-host and Kenmore brand spokesperson
The World Food Championships competition drew thousands of foodies and Food Sport enthusiasts to Central Florida, elevating hotel bookings, restaurant spending and other community revenue metrics that come with such signature events.
They also hosted the first ever Food, Fight, Write competition among food bloggers, which was recapped by our guest author Anna-Marie Walsh.
No word if the World Food Championships will return to Central Florida next year, but we hope they will. For more information on the event, visit worldfoodchampionships.com.
[Image courtesy World Food Championships]
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017