In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- Holy Land Experience Offers Free Admission Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - October 23, 2017
- Tijuana Flats to Host “Day of Outrageousness” on October 21, 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Out and About: On Your Feet! a Dazzling Musical Telling of Gloria and Emilio Estafan’s Rise to Fame - October 19, 2017
- WDW Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Celebrates 8th Year Oct 27-28, 2017 - October 18, 2017
- Spooky Empire Horror Con Returns to Orlando October 27-29, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Launches Spooky Nights and Spider Frights for Halloween Fun - October 16, 2017
- 6th Annual Orlando Sentinel Pink Bash Set For Oct 20 in Winter Park - October 15, 2017
- Go DIY at Maker Faire Orlando Oct 21-22, 2017 - October 13, 2017
- On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical Comes to Dr Phillips Center Oct 17-22, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- Salty Sweet Women’s Pro/Am Surf Event Returns to Cocoa Beach Pier Oct 14-15 - October 11, 2017