In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents The Fixx Aug 31, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Win Tickets to Disney On Ice: Dare to Dream at the Amway Center September 8-10, 2017! - August 13, 2017
- Out and About: Sampling the New Menu at Highball and Harvest at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando - August 12, 2017
- Taste! Central Florida to Serve Up Delicious Local Cuisine For a Great Cause August 19, 2017 + Win 2 Tickets! - August 8, 2017
- The Florida Orchestra to Welcome Sting for 50th Anniversary Gala Concert - August 7, 2017
- Dine Around Apopka in August to Help Habitat for Humanity Seminole-Apopka - August 6, 2017
- American Idol Auditions Coming to Orlando August 17, 2017 - August 5, 2017
- Save on Back-to-School with Florida Sales Tax Holiday Aug 4-6, 2017 - August 4, 2017
- BaseLine Tap House Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios - August 3, 2017
- Out and About: Margaritaville Resort Orlando Breaks Ground - August 2, 2017