In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017
- Orange County Library System Spring Book Sale Takes Place May 18-21, 2017 - May 11, 2017