In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- Dancers Julianne and Derek Hough Bring 2017 Tour to Dr Phillips Center May 16 - April 26, 2017
- Wild Florida Launches First Annual Gator Week May 2017 - April 24, 2017
- Rock & Brews Opens Second Central Florida Location in Orlando April 24 - April 21, 2017
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents Eddie Money April 27 - April 20, 2017
- Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando Hosts Jake’s Beer Dinner April 28 - April 19, 2017
- Out and About: Create Your Nature Offers Healthy Delicious Food in Winter Park #getyourbowlon - April 18, 2017
- Six Orlando Restaurants to be Featured on Upcoming ‘Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives’ Episodes - April 17, 2017
- Walt Disney World Announces Dates for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2017 - April 16, 2017
- Planet Fitness Offers Free HydroMassage to Soothe Tax Day Stress April 15-22, 2017 - April 15, 2017
- SeaWorld Orlando to Open Infinity Falls in Summer 2018 - April 14, 2017