In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Offering Tito’s Vodka Bottle Engravings June 30-July 2 - June 25, 2017
- Holler and Dash to Host Biscuits and Brews Evening Event on June 29 - June 24, 2017
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2017 Epcot Food & Wine Festival - June 23, 2017
- Hard Rock International Announces New Hotel Location in Daytona Beach - June 20, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017
- Gods & Monsters Celebrates 2nd Anniversary June 17, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Orlando United Day is a Day of Rememberance - June 12, 2017
- Bite30 Returns in June 2017 with Orlando Dining Deals - June 5, 2017
- Wild Florida Welcomes Rare White Alligators and Launches Naming Contest - June 4, 2017
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Returns June 6 Offering $1 Films for Families - June 3, 2017