In addition to checking out the Captain Morgan Cannon Blast party at Wall St. Plaza, I also ventured out onto Orange Ave on Saturday night (Oct. 17) to experience the annual Creative City Project.
The entire street was shut down for several blocks and every few hundred feet was a stage or other artistic area to enjoy for free.
Over the short time I was wandering, I caught an orchestra set up so I could stand in the middle of the performance, a ballet performance set against the backdrop of a skyscraper, an artist creating live as the audience watched, and more.
In between the stages were small areas with individual happenings – I walked right into a game show asking “How Well Do You Know Orlando?,” caught street artists painting an homage to Orlando City soccer, and even made friends with a puppet.
And all of this was free!
The only problem I had was I seemed to come up to a stage just as they were switching over to another performance. I also wasn’t sure who was performing in most cases because there weren’t any signs. There were pamphlets that I happened to find, with a map and performance times listed, but I wasn’t looking at my watch when I visited a stage.
As a result, I’m not sure about who I was watching, but I know I enjoyed all of it. But I guess that’s the fun of art, right? Discovering something you know nothing about and enjoying it anyways.
I look forward to next year’s Creative City Project, and I hope to see you all down there supporting the Orlando arts scene. I’ll let you know when I hear of a date.
Did you go this year? Let me know what you saw and what you liked in comments!
- Orlando Area Dining News Roundup: January 19, 2018: Marlow’s Tavern, The Glass Knife, Brews ‘n’Blues, and More - January 19, 2018
- Praise Wave 2018 Starts at SeaWorld Orlando Jan 20 - January 19, 2018
- James Taylor to Play Two Central Florida Shows with Bonnie Raitt in May 2018 - January 18, 2018
- LEGO® NINJAGO® Days Take Over LEGOLAND Florida Weekends in Jan-Feb 2018 #BuiltForKids - January 18, 2018
- Meet Monster Jam Drivers And Their Monster Trucks On January 18 Around Orlando - January 17, 2018
- Supernatural Convention Comes to Orlando for First Time Jan 19-21, 2018 - January 17, 2018
- Out and About: Otronicon 2018 at the Orlando Science Center Proves STEM is Fun - January 16, 2018
- BIG Something to Play The Social in Orlando on January 17, 2018 - January 15, 2018
- UFC FIGHT NIGHT® Returns to Amway Center with Action-Packed Card February 24, 2018 - January 15, 2018
- Meet the Teams for the Pro Bowl Game in Orlando January 28, 2018 #ProBowlOrlando #ThisIsOrlando - January 14, 2018