Saturday night, Captain Morgan chose Orlando to help launch their new Cannon Blast Shot, and they did it by launching a man out of a cannon, not once, but twice.
This is probably one of the craziest things that has happened at Wall St. Plaza in downtown Orlando in the two decades I’ve called Orlando home…and one of the most fun!
I arrived early and sampled the new shot, plus several beverages made with the shot, at Wall St’s Hen House. This cozy bar was helmed this afternoon by Joey serving up liquid delights in his dapper top hat.
I first tried the Tropical Plunder, featuring Cannon Blast, peach schnapps, and pineapple juice. It was like a Fuzzy Navel with a bit of a kick, and oh so delish. It went down easy – too easy, so I switched to something less sweet.
My next drink was the Plundering Pumpkin, comprised of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Shipyard Pumpkin Ale, and ginger ale. I paired it with a Cannon Blast shot straight.
Sipping the shot, it started sweet, but then a slow burn hit the back of my throat. I saw a lot of people slamming the shot, but I preferred to sip, to enjoy the complex flavors. And the pumpkin drink was good, too.
Around this time, human cannonball Brian Miser loaded himself into the cannon next to the Hen House, and a quick count of 10 later, he was flying down the length of Wall St. Plaza to the waiting airbag. Note to self. don’t park yourself near the base of a cannon…it’s loud and smoky.
We then headed over to the Waitiki Lounge’s 2nd floor balcony for more drinks and light bites (“yay! tator tots!,” said my slightly buzzed stomach), as we waited for Brian to make his second shot. This one was down the length of Court Ave.
This is the first time Miser had done two cannon shots in the same day, much less within an hour span, but like the pro he is, he slid inside the barrel, and BOOM!, he was all the way down the street into the airbag.
I celebrated by trying one more drink, the Morgan Mule, made with Captain Morgan Spiced Rum and ginger beer, with a mint sprig garnish. A good version of the classic drink. I also did a shot of Cannon Blast with the good Captain himself. I found when you slam it, you feel the heat of the shot more.
All of this happened at the same time Creative City Project was going on, literally on the street next to Wall Street Plaza, but we had a great crowd helping to celebrate Captain Morgan’s newest arrival to it’s line of rums.
Thanks Captain, Brian and Captain Morgan’s crew for a wonderful evening. I look forward to partying with you all again!
If you weren’t there, or want to relive the excitement, Captain Morgan has put together this highlight reel for me to share with you. Check it out!
[All photos not from Instagram are courtesy Captain Morgan USA]
Disclaimer: I was a guest of Captain Morgan for this event. As always, all opinions are my own, and honest.
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Offering Tito’s Vodka Bottle Engravings June 30-July 2 - June 25, 2017
- Holler and Dash to Host Biscuits and Brews Evening Event on June 29 - June 24, 2017
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2017 Epcot Food & Wine Festival - June 23, 2017
- Hard Rock International Announces New Hotel Location in Daytona Beach - June 20, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017
- Gods & Monsters Celebrates 2nd Anniversary June 17, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Orlando United Day is a Day of Rememberance - June 12, 2017
- Bite30 Returns in June 2017 with Orlando Dining Deals - June 5, 2017
- Wild Florida Welcomes Rare White Alligators and Launches Naming Contest - June 4, 2017
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Returns June 6 Offering $1 Films for Families - June 3, 2017