Yesterday (August 15) at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced that a Star Wars-themed land will be coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
The expansion will cover 14 acres, and will add two signature attractions. One of those will put guests behind the controls of the Millenium Falcon itself. Oh yeah, I can’t wait for that one.
“I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”
Disneyland will also be undergoing a similar expansion for their own Star Wars Land.
No start date has been given for the transformation, nor has a completion date been announced. Looking at the Google map of the park, it’s hard to figure out where they will get the needed space surrounding Star Tours unless they close the Muppets and Lights! Motors! Action! and/or they close the S. Studio Dr entrance into the park and expand past that to the southeast into the undeveloped land sitting there.
What do you think? Let us know in comments.
Other Star Wars news for Disney’s Hollywood Studios include:
Star Tours getting a video upgrade that will feature locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This is roughly scheduled to happen by the end of 2015.
The Jedi Training Academy will be updated to include new characters and a new villain from the popular Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”
Season of the Force is a new seasonal event that will begin early 2016 and will feature a weekend fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
So…who else is excited about the Star Wars expansion finally being officially announced??
[All photos courtesy Disney Parks. Photos of Bob Iger – Richard Harbaugh photographer]
- D23: Star Wars Resort Announced for Walt Disney World - July 20, 2017
- D23: Ratatouille Attraction Coming to France Pavilion at Epcot By 2021 - July 20, 2017
- Shepherd’s Hope to Offer Free Back-to-School Physicals for Children July 31-Aug 10 - July 19, 2017
- D23: New Disney Skyliner to Transport Guests at Walt Disney World - July 19, 2017
- Breaking News: The Great Movie Ride to Close at Disney’s Hollywood Studios August 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert with the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra October 8, 2017 - July 18, 2017
- Breaking News: Universe of Energy to Close at Epcot August 2017 - July 18, 2017
- D23: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway Coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios - July 18, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Announces Willie Nelson and Family to Play October 15, 2017 - July 17, 2017
- D23: Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction Coming to Epcot By 2021 - July 17, 2017