Popular Orlando radio personality Scott McKenzie passed away the morning of August 11, 2015, after a long seven-year battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
McKenzie, born Scott Alan Friedman 59 years ago, had been part of the MIX 105.1 morning crew for over 24 years and often referred to it as “the job of a lifetime.” In a piece he wrote for the station’s website last week, he mentioned a good luck charm routine he had of pressing his microphone’s “on” button a few extra seconds to remind himself how lucky he is to be able to what he loves.
In addition to being a huge part of Orlando radio, McKenzie was also involved in Orlando’s charitable communities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Children’s Miracle Network, and the Coalition For The Homeless of Central Florida.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer issued the following statement yesterday: “We join in mourning the loss of Scott McKenzie. His passion for our City will be missed.”
McKenzie is surivived by his wife Fran, and their daughter, as well as his parents and siblings. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, that well-wishers make a donation to any of the above charities he was involved with.
Our condolences to Scott’s family, and our sincere thanks to him for entertaining us for so many years.
— MIX 105.1 (@MIX1051) August 11, 2015
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017