Popular Orlando radio personality Scott McKenzie passed away the morning of August 11, 2015, after a long seven-year battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
McKenzie, born Scott Alan Friedman 59 years ago, had been part of the MIX 105.1 morning crew for over 24 years and often referred to it as “the job of a lifetime.” In a piece he wrote for the station’s website last week, he mentioned a good luck charm routine he had of pressing his microphone’s “on” button a few extra seconds to remind himself how lucky he is to be able to what he loves.
In addition to being a huge part of Orlando radio, McKenzie was also involved in Orlando’s charitable communities, including the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, The Children’s Miracle Network, and the Coalition For The Homeless of Central Florida.
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer issued the following statement yesterday: “We join in mourning the loss of Scott McKenzie. His passion for our City will be missed.”
McKenzie is surivived by his wife Fran, and their daughter, as well as his parents and siblings. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, that well-wishers make a donation to any of the above charities he was involved with.
Our condolences to Scott’s family, and our sincere thanks to him for entertaining us for so many years.
— MIX 105.1 (@MIX1051) August 11, 2015
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Offering Tito’s Vodka Bottle Engravings June 30-July 2 - June 25, 2017
- Holler and Dash to Host Biscuits and Brews Evening Event on June 29 - June 24, 2017
- Eat To The Beat Bands Revealed For 2017 Epcot Food & Wine Festival - June 23, 2017
- Hard Rock International Announces New Hotel Location in Daytona Beach - June 20, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017
- Gods & Monsters Celebrates 2nd Anniversary June 17, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Orlando United Day is a Day of Rememberance - June 12, 2017
- Bite30 Returns in June 2017 with Orlando Dining Deals - June 5, 2017
- Wild Florida Welcomes Rare White Alligators and Launches Naming Contest - June 4, 2017
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Returns June 6 Offering $1 Films for Families - June 3, 2017