If you love all things sci-fi, fantasy, horror, comics, and collectibles, you’ll want to be at the grand opening of Orlando’s newest shop, Gods and Monsters, located at Artegon Marketplace.
Built from the ground up, Gods and Monsters is subtly separated into a salefloor, a bar/lounge/gaming area, and an art gallery.
It grand opens on Saturday, July 13 (today!) at 10am with a ribbon cutting ceremony. All day long, there will be art demos, appearances by critically acclaimed Victorian horror troupe Phantasmagoria, photo ops with costumed characters in exchange for donations to the Hero Initiantive charity, and free arcade games sponsored by Free Play Florida and BART. There will also be a costume contest with prizes to be held at 8pm, so feel free to cosplay.
And did we mention free comics for everyone in attendance?
If you can’t make it in person, Gods and Monsters plans to stream the grand opening festivities live via their YouTube channel at:
I got a chance to check out the store earlier this week, as they were putting the finishing touches on things, and I have to say I didn’t want to leave. The atmosphere is incredibly cool, and you can tell the store was conceived by people who love the comics and collectibles world.
The check out area is themed to look like it’s straight out of Batman’s Arkham Asylum. There are Stormtroopers guarding the mall entrance, and random other statues of Batman, Spiderman, and even a little girl from the Walking Dead.
The back of the store is separated by a wall, and will eventually be the Offworld Lounge with three sci-fi booths for lounging, and three medieval-style booths with huge tables for gaming. There is also a large screen for showing movies and more.
The Offworld Lounge bar is inspired by Blade Runner, and will serve non-alcoholic drinks to start. Owners Todd Fisher and Anna Young hope to eventually obtain a liquor license for the bar, and serve sci-fi/fantasy inspired drinks.
The Transmetropolitan Art Gallery, which is of course named after the Warren Ellis comic book, is a 1,500-square-foot gallery within the store that will feature various mediums of art by local and international artists. It is located to the left when entering the store.
The store also features a second entrance that opens to the outside, so even if the mall itself is closed, Gods and Monsters can opt to have extended hours for special events.
There are quite a few good comic and collectible stores in Orlando, but I think Gods and Monsters opening will elevate the bar highly. I look forward to spending much time in this store.
Gods and Monsters is located at Artegon Marketplace at 5250 International Drive, Orlando. They will be open 7 days a week from 10am to 10pm. For more information, visit them online at godmonsters.com.
Thanks to Anna and Todd for giving us the quick preview tour. I wish them much success with Gods and Monsters!
- MetroWest Hosts Free WinterFest Dec 9, 2017 - December 7, 2017
- Marvel Character Dinner Coming to Universal Orlando in December 2017 - December 6, 2017
- Ripley’s Believe it or Not! Orlando Hosts Marilyn Monroe Look-Alike Contest Dec 9, 2017 - December 5, 2017
- Walt Disney World To Live Stream ‘Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!’ From Disney’s Hollywood Studios Dec 4, 2017 - December 4, 2017
- Book of Mormon Returns to Dr Phillips Center Dec 12-17, 2017 - December 3, 2017
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Hosts An Evening with Anna Deavere Smith Dec 10, 2017 - December 2, 2017
- Central Florida Foodie Events for December 2017 - November 30, 2017
- 2017 Epcot Candlelight Processional Narrators At Walt Disney World - November 23, 2017
- Out and About: Christmas Comes to Gaylord Palms - November 21, 2017
- Central Florida International Auto Show Rolls Into Orlando November 23-26, 2017 - November 19, 2017