Culver’s, with roots in Wisconsin, has opened its first Central Florida location in Clermont, and we went to check them out.
I have a bit of a personal connection to the restaurant chain. It was the summer before my senior year in high school, when the first Culver’s opened on July 18, 1984, in Sauk City, Wisconsin. I lived in Baraboo, a town a mere 15 minutes away, so of course I had to check it out – especially since I would pass by it every weekend on the way to Madison.
Culver’s first successful franchised restaurant opened in December 1990, less than a block away from the Baraboo High School. Figures, right? Well, since then, Culver’s has expanded to more than 500 restaurants in 22 states, including the newly opened location in Clermont.
Culver’s offers a menu made famous by its ButterBurgers and Frozen Custard. But that isn’t all that’s on the menu. You can also enjoy grilled/crispy chicken sandwiches, battered fish sandwiches, shaved prime rib, a grilled Reuben melt, salads, and items inspired by mom’s home cooking, like pot roast and fresh fried chicken served with two side choices and a roll.
Sides offer just as many options – crinkle cut fries, fried Wisconsin cheese curds (my fave!), battered onion rings, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, cole slaw, and chili cheese fries.
But it’s the ButterBurger that put them on the map, and one taste will tell you why. It starts with fresh, never-frozen 100-percent Midwest-raised beef, which is seared to lock in flavor and juices. It’s then placed on a bun that has been lightly buttered and grilled until toasted.
You can have it plain, or with the works. Single, double, or triple patties. You can even order your ButterBurger in one of their signature options: Deluxe (your choice of cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and dill pickle and mayo); Bacon Deluxe (add bacon to the Deluxe); Mushroom & Swiss; Cheddar ButterBurger (instead of American); Wisconsin Swiss Melt, and Sourdough Melt.
And that frozen custard? You can enjoy vanilla, chocolate, or the flavor of the day, which rotates daily amongst 80 different flavors. If you’ve never had frozen custard, it’s a thicker creamier version of ice cream. It’s worth it to save a little room for a small scoop of custard. Or you can opt for your custard in a concrete mixer, sundae, shake, or malt form, too.
Prices are very reasonable. A Double ButterBurger Deluxe with Bacon value basket, which comes with a side and a medium soda comes in under $10 with tax. Single ButterBurgers will come in around $8-9, depending on choice of side. A scoop of custard is less than $3 (depending on if it comes in a cup, sugar cone, or waffle cone).
Speaking of soda, Culver’s brews their own rootbeer in regular and diet draft versions. It is like old-time rootbeer and so very tasty!
I’m happy to say the food is still excellent, the prices are good, and the service is outstanding. I’ve even seen the owner bussing tables if it was super busy. Which brings me to the one downside: the restaurant is so popular, it may be hard to find a table or even a parking space if it’s busy. They do have a drive-thru, but since everything is cooked to order, that can get a line, too.
But I think it’s worth the trip to have a meal there.
Culver’s of Clermont is located at 1431 Johns Lake Rd, at the intersection of Hwy 27 (just south of Hwy 50). It is open 10am to 10pm daily. Before your first visit, visit culvers.com and sign up for the free Culver’s Club. You’ll get a free BOGO Value Basket coupon to use within 14 days of signing up. Oh, and they also offer free wi-fi.
If you’ve visited this Culver’s location, let us know what you thought of it.
- Holy Land Experience Offers Free Admission Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - October 23, 2017
- Tijuana Flats to Host “Day of Outrageousness” on October 21, 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Out and About: On Your Feet! a Dazzling Musical Telling of Gloria and Emilio Estafan’s Rise to Fame - October 19, 2017
- WDW Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic Celebrates 8th Year Oct 27-28, 2017 - October 18, 2017
- Spooky Empire Horror Con Returns to Orlando October 27-29, 2017 - October 17, 2017
- Coca-Cola Orlando Eye Launches Spooky Nights and Spider Frights for Halloween Fun - October 16, 2017
- 6th Annual Orlando Sentinel Pink Bash Set For Oct 20 in Winter Park - October 15, 2017
- Go DIY at Maker Faire Orlando Oct 21-22, 2017 - October 13, 2017
- On Your Feet! The Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway Musical Comes to Dr Phillips Center Oct 17-22, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- Salty Sweet Women’s Pro/Am Surf Event Returns to Cocoa Beach Pier Oct 14-15 - October 11, 2017