Culver’s, with roots in Wisconsin, has opened its first Central Florida location in Clermont, and we went to check them out.
I have a bit of a personal connection to the restaurant chain. It was the summer before my senior year in high school, when the first Culver’s opened on July 18, 1984, in Sauk City, Wisconsin. I lived in Baraboo, a town a mere 15 minutes away, so of course I had to check it out – especially since I would pass by it every weekend on the way to Madison.
Culver’s first successful franchised restaurant opened in December 1990, less than a block away from the Baraboo High School. Figures, right? Well, since then, Culver’s has expanded to more than 500 restaurants in 22 states, including the newly opened location in Clermont.
Culver’s offers a menu made famous by its ButterBurgers and Frozen Custard. But that isn’t all that’s on the menu. You can also enjoy grilled/crispy chicken sandwiches, battered fish sandwiches, shaved prime rib, a grilled Reuben melt, salads, and items inspired by mom’s home cooking, like pot roast and fresh fried chicken served with two side choices and a roll.
Sides offer just as many options – crinkle cut fries, fried Wisconsin cheese curds (my fave!), battered onion rings, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, cole slaw, and chili cheese fries.
But it’s the ButterBurger that put them on the map, and one taste will tell you why. It starts with fresh, never-frozen 100-percent Midwest-raised beef, which is seared to lock in flavor and juices. It’s then placed on a bun that has been lightly buttered and grilled until toasted.
You can have it plain, or with the works. Single, double, or triple patties. You can even order your ButterBurger in one of their signature options: Deluxe (your choice of cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and dill pickle and mayo); Bacon Deluxe (add bacon to the Deluxe); Mushroom & Swiss; Cheddar ButterBurger (instead of American); Wisconsin Swiss Melt, and Sourdough Melt.
And that frozen custard? You can enjoy vanilla, chocolate, or the flavor of the day, which rotates daily amongst 80 different flavors. If you’ve never had frozen custard, it’s a thicker creamier version of ice cream. It’s worth it to save a little room for a small scoop of custard. Or you can opt for your custard in a concrete mixer, sundae, shake, or malt form, too.
Prices are very reasonable. A Double ButterBurger Deluxe with Bacon value basket, which comes with a side and a medium soda comes in under $10 with tax. Single ButterBurgers will come in around $8-9, depending on choice of side. A scoop of custard is less than $3 (depending on if it comes in a cup, sugar cone, or waffle cone).
Speaking of soda, Culver’s brews their own rootbeer in regular and diet draft versions. It is like old-time rootbeer and so very tasty!
I’m happy to say the food is still excellent, the prices are good, and the service is outstanding. I’ve even seen the owner bussing tables if it was super busy. Which brings me to the one downside: the restaurant is so popular, it may be hard to find a table or even a parking space if it’s busy. They do have a drive-thru, but since everything is cooked to order, that can get a line, too.
But I think it’s worth the trip to have a meal there.
Culver’s of Clermont is located at 1431 Johns Lake Rd, at the intersection of Hwy 27 (just south of Hwy 50). It is open 10am to 10pm daily. Before your first visit, visit culvers.com and sign up for the free Culver’s Club. You’ll get a free BOGO Value Basket coupon to use within 14 days of signing up. Oh, and they also offer free wi-fi.
If you’ve visited this Culver’s location, let us know what you thought of it.
- ‘The Music of Pixar Live!” to Debut at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Memorial Day Weekend 2017 - March 24, 2017
- Passes Now On Sale for OrlandoiX 2017 at Full Sail University Aug 17-20 - March 23, 2017
- Cars 3 Road to the Races Tour Kicks Off at Disney Springs March 23-26, 2017 - March 22, 2017
- PBA South Open Rolls Into Orlando’s Boardwalk Bowl March 24-26, 2017 - March 21, 2017
- Comedian Chris Rock Brings Total Blackout Tour to Dr Phillips Center April 16 and 17 - March 20, 2017
- Out and About: Millenia 106 offer New American Classics Loaded with Flavor - March 19, 2017
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with Complimentary Irish Samplings - March 15, 2017
- 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Returns to Orlando’s Amway Center This Week - March 14, 2017
- Out and About: Planet Hollywood Observatory at Disney Springs Brings Flavortown to Orlando - March 13, 2017
- Osceola Council on Aging Hosts March for Meals 5K Run & Walk March 18, 2017 - March 12, 2017