The 24th Annual Orlando Fringe Festival returns May13th-25th in Orlando’s Ivanhoe Village and Loch Haven Park, with a wealth of artistic endeavors, music, and more.
What is the Fringe? It is a 14-day arts festival that is founded on the concept of being 100% unjuried, uncensored, and accessible. Fringe Festivals began in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1947, and made its way to Orlando where it was started 24 years ago, in 1991.
This year’s Fringe Festival features shows for all ages, even kids, as well as adults-only shows (remember the uncensored part?). Most shows are priced between $9-$11, though some are less, and even a few are free.
The way to Fringe is first you must purchase a Fringe button for $9. This is good for all 14 days and helps fund this massive festival. The only reason you don’t need a button is if you plan to only see the free shows on the outdoor stage or Kids Fringe.
Once you have a button, you can purchase tickets to the show(s) you want to see. All ticket sales carry a $1.25 service charge (online) or $1 (in person), which goes to the ticketing company.
The only other rule? Don’t be late. All shows start on time, and once they close the doors, late comers are not admitted for any reason.
I haven’t had a chance to preview any of this year’s shows, but several look interesting from the descriptions. But what I’m really excited about are the FREE musical offerings during the Fringe, on their outdoor stage at Loch Haven Park.
Beth McKee’s Swamp Sistas La La, features a wealth of Orlando female artists, such as Kaleigh Baker, Laney Jones and the Spirits, and more. This happens Saturday, May 16 at 3pm.
Jambando at the Fringe features a line-up of jam bands such as FunkUs, the Woolly Bushmen, and more. Plus Shak Nasti reunites for a special set. Oh yeah! The jam starts at 3pm on Saturday, May 23.
Since Monday, May 25, is Memorial Day, the Orlando Fringe will be closed out by at Retro Beach Party on the Lawn, featuring Rocket 88, The Wildtones, and more, along with a retro bathing suit contest.
And that’s just the tip of the greatness that will be happening the next two weeks during Orlando Fringe.
For a full list of shows scheduled for the 2015 Orlando Fringe Festival, along a full list of venues and ticket locations, visit orlandofringe.org.
- 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo Teams with Free School’s Out Blow Out June 2-3, 2017 - May 26, 2017
- Orlando Science Center Hosts Science Night Live! Craft Beer Edition June 3, 2017 - May 25, 2017
- Out and About: Nine Spices Serves Up Delicious Hotpot Near Universal Orlando - May 23, 2017
- LEGOLAND Florida to Offer $99 Annual Awesomer Pass Sale May 26-29, 2017 - May 22, 2017
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up May 21, 2017: Portobello, The Halal Guys, Tijuana Flats - May 21, 2017
- The Shining is Coming to Universal Orlando Halloween Horror Nights 27 - May 20, 2017
- Sesame Street Land is Coming to SeaWorld Orlando By Fall 2022 - May 19, 2017
- Ace Cafe Orlando Hosts Grand Opening Weekend May 19-21, 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Orlando Fringe Festival Returns To Amaze And Entertain May 16-29, 2017 - May 14, 2017
- Orlando Thanks Visitors in a Guinness World Records Way for Making it No. 1 Destination in U.S. #OrlandosBIGThankYou - May 13, 2017