Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Central Florida Sounds of Freedom Band and Color Guard Presents British Invasion Concert October 12, 2014 - September 29, 2014
- Soco Restaurant Opens to Serve Southern Cuisine in Thornton Park - September 28, 2014
- Get BOGO Tickets to the #AIMExpo14 at Orange County Convention Center October 18-19, 2014 - September 27, 2014
- House of Blues Orlando Celebrates Oktoberfest with Limited Time Menu - September 26, 2014
- You Me At Six to Rock Firestone Live September 30, 2014 - September 25, 2014
- Cows ‘N Cabs Returns to Winter Park With Good Eats and Good Deeds October 25, 2014 - September 24, 2014
- Bahama Breeze Celebrates Rumtoberfest With New Food and Cocktails - September 23, 2014
- Free Pancakes at Perkins for Give Kids the World on September 25, 2014 - September 23, 2014
- Out and About: Sleuth’s Mystery Dinner Shows Offers Fun Experience for All - September 22, 2014
- Free National Park Entry In Honor of National Public Lands Day on September 27, 2014 - September 22, 2014