Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Theme Park Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals in Central Florida - November 26, 2015
- Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Presents Miracle on 34th Street Dec 4-20 - November 26, 2015
- Out and About: Christmas at Gaylord Palms Includes Fabulous Cirque Dreams and ICE! - November 25, 2015
- Out and About: Mummies of the World at the Orlando Science Center Leaves November 29 - November 25, 2015
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Presents Peter and the Starcatcher Dec 2 – Jan 3 - November 24, 2015
- 2016 Florida Strawberry Festival Headliners Announced - November 23, 2015
- Canvas Restaurant and Market to Open in Lake Nona January 2016 - November 23, 2015
- Blue Man Group Orlando Supports Autism Speaks With Sensory-Friendly Show on Dec. 5 - November 22, 2015
- Walt Disney World Extends 2016 Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival to 90 Days - November 22, 2015
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Thanksgiving 2015 in Orlando - November 21, 2015