Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Toby Keith and Lynyrd Skynyrd Headline First Weekend of Bands, Brew & BBQ at SeaWorld Orlando March 7-8, 2015 - March 3, 2015
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House Hosts Veuve Clicquot Champagne Dinner March 19, 2015 - March 3, 2015
- Blues Artist Ray Bonneville to Play Free Show at House of Blues Orlando March 7, 2015 - March 2, 2015
- Kevin Hart Adds Second Show to Orlando and Tampa Tour Dates - March 2, 2015
- Planet Hollywood Orlando to Undergo Disney Springs Transformation - March 1, 2015
- Downtown Disney Food Trucks to Offer New Menu Items - March 1, 2015
- Toca Boca Orlando to Bring Authentic Spanish Cuisine to I-Drive 360 This Spring - February 28, 2015
- Jim Breuer Brings the Laughs to Plaza Live Orlando March 5, 2015 - February 27, 2015
- American Q Introduces Breakfast Cocktails to Menu - February 27, 2015
- Universal Orlando Next Park to Raise Ticket Prices Again - February 27, 2015