Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Out and About: Nik Wallenda Sets Record with Walk on The Orlando Eye - May 1, 2015
- Bookmark It Hosts Locally Grown Words Summer Book Fair at East End Market May 3, 2015 - April 30, 2015
- Nitro Circus Live is Coming to Amway Center May 9 and We Have Your Chance to Win Tickets! - April 29, 2015
- Nik Wallenda Readies for His Walk on The Orlando Eye April 29, 2015 - April 28, 2015
- Iration to Co-Headline Reggae on the Block 2 in Downtown Orlando May 9, 2015 - April 28, 2015
- Orange County Regional History Center Hosts Straight Talk: All Lives Matter May 2, 2015 - April 28, 2015
- Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores To Build 110,000-SF Expansion - April 27, 2015
- St. Johns River Festival of the Arts Returns to Downtown Sanford May 2-3, 2015 - April 27, 2015
- Four Seasons Orlando Makes Conde Nast Traveler’s The 2015 Hot List - April 26, 2015
- LEGOLAND Hotel to Open May 15 at LEGOLAND Florida - April 26, 2015