Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Starts Alcohol Delivery in Orlando Area Via Shipt July 27 - July 26, 2016
- Krispy Kreme and The Salvation Army Launch Annual Stuff the Bus School Supply Drive - July 25, 2016
- 2016 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Menus - July 24, 2016
- Additional Fun & Tasty Orlando Taste of the Nation Fundraising Events #OrlTaste - July 23, 2016
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up July 22, 2016: Emeril’s Orlando, DoveCote, Spencer’s for Steaks and Chops - July 22, 2016
- Orlando Taste of the Nation Returns Aug 27 with Great Food for a Great Cause #OrlTaste - July 21, 2016
- Skull Island: Reign of Kong Officially Opens at Universal Orlando - July 20, 2016
- #DisneyParksLIVE to Stream Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular Fireworks July 18 - July 18, 2016
- Celebrate National Ice Cream Day at These Six Orlando Shops - July 17, 2016
- Eat to the Beat Bands Revealed for 21st Epcot Food & Wine Festival - July 16, 2016