Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Star Wars Celebration Returns to Orlando in 2017 - May 5, 2016
- LEGOLAND Florida Offering BOGO Awesomer Pass Today Only! - May 5, 2016
- Def Leppard and Tesla to Rock Amway Center May 20 - May 4, 2016
- Opening at Disney Spings: Aristocrepes, The Daily Poutine, and B.B. Wolf’s Sausage Co. - May 4, 2016
- Sprinkles Bringing Famous Cupcake ATM to Disney Springs in May - May 3, 2016
- Orlando Citrus Bowl Gets New Name: Camping World Stadium - May 3, 2016
- Marlow’s Tavern Debuts New Spring Menu at Central Florida Locations - May 2, 2016
- Sunset Music Fest Kicks Off Summer in Tampa Memorial Weekend - May 1, 2016
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating Mother’s Day 2016 - May 1, 2016
- Invictus Games Orlando 2016 Announce Opening and Closing Ceremonies Guests - April 30, 2016