Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Walt Disney World Raises Annual Pass Prices and Parking Fees Effective October 4, 2015 - October 4, 2015
- Garden Theatre in Winter Garden Presents Carved: A Pumpkin’s Musical Adventure Oct 30 – Nov 1 - October 3, 2015
- Velvet Sessions at the Hard Rock Hotel Presents Soul Asylum October 29 - October 2, 2015
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up for October 2, 2015 - October 2, 2015
- Jake’s Beer Festival Returns to Loews Royal Pacific Resort October 9, 2015 - September 30, 2015
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up: The Disney Edition September 2015 - September 29, 2015
- Fan Expo Announces MegaCon Fan Days in Orlando November 21-22, 2015 - September 28, 2015
- Out and About: David Cook Rocks to the Beat at Epcot Food & Wine Festival - September 28, 2015
- Out and About: Enjoying Lunch at Fulton’s Crab House at Disney Springs - September 27, 2015
- CSI: Experience Orlando to Host Live Watch Party for CSI Series Finale September 27 - September 24, 2015