Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Watch the SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch from Kennedy Space Center on December 19, 2014 - December 17, 2014
- American Q Offers New Holiday Drinks and Dessert for December - December 15, 2014
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Presents CIRCUS XTREME at Amway Center January 8-11, 2015 – With Discount Code! - December 14, 2014
- Christmas In The Shire Offers Free Holiday Light Extravaganza in Orlando - December 13, 2014
- Divas Dinner Theatre to Replace Mills Brewpub - December 12, 2014
- Enjoy the 2Oth Annual Enchanted Christmas at Back To Nature Wildlife Refuge on December 13, 2014 - December 11, 2014
- The Vampire Diaries Official Convention Returns to Orlando December 12-14, 2014 #TvdOrlando - December 10, 2014
- Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons of KISS to Host Rock & Brews Oviedo Grand Opening For Charity January 6, 2015 - December 8, 2014
- Out and About: Marvel Universe LIVE! Brings Superheroes to Life For Families at the Amway Center - December 6, 2014
- Meet the Brains Behind the Orion Spacecraft at Orlando Science Center December 6-7, 2014 - December 5, 2014