Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Hosts 3rd Annual Free Open House on August 1, 2015 - July 27, 2015
- Main Street Restaurant Week Comes to Orlando August 1-8, 2015 - July 27, 2015
- Whitesnake to Rock Central Florida for Three Dates in August - July 26, 2015
- Osborne Lights Return to Disney’s Hollywood Studios Starting November 6, 2015 - July 26, 2015
- Lafayette’s Will Soft Open Dinner Hours This Weekend With Full Hours Starting July 27 - July 25, 2015
- Payano Vs Warren: Premier Boxing Champions Airs Live from Full Sail University Winter Park on August 2 - July 24, 2015
- Four Seasons Resort Orlando Celebrates First Anniversary With Special Dinners at Ravello and Capa on August 3 - July 24, 2015
- Taverna Opa Orlando Host Second of Three Air, Land & Sea Summer Wine Dinners July 30 - July 23, 2015
- The Meatball Shoppe Hosts a Special Four-Course Dinner on August 5 - July 23, 2015
- Renaissance Orlando At SeaWorld Executive Chef Receives Marriott 2014 Award Of Culinary Excellence - July 23, 2015