Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Presents PlayFest: After Pulse Nov 3-6, 2016 - October 27, 2016
- Puscifer Rocks Orlando’s Bob Carr Theater November 1 - October 27, 2016
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time Plays Dr. Phillips Center in November - October 26, 2016
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Bring World Tour to Central Florida Oct 2017 - October 26, 2016
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks For Celebrating Halloween 2016 In Central Florida - October 25, 2016
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios Removes ATAS Hall of Fame - October 25, 2016
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Presents Stuart Little Oct 25-Nov 16 - October 24, 2016
- AKC Canine Extravaganza Returns to Orlando Dec 17-18, 2016 - October 24, 2016
- Good Through Food Partners with Local Restaurants to Give Back - October 23, 2016
- The Capital Grille Hosts Chef Night at Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida Oct 26 - October 22, 2016