Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Offers Cyber Monday Deal for Theater Lovers on Your Gift List - November 28, 2014
- WJRR Offering Ticket Deal on Earthday Birthday 22 Concert for Black Friday - November 27, 2014
- Fun Spot America Offers 50% Off Season Passes for Black Friday - November 27, 2014
- SeaWorld Orlando Offering BOGO Deals for “Blue” Friday - November 27, 2014
- AAA, Bud Light To Offer Tow To Go Program Thanksgiving Weekend 2014 in Orlando - November 25, 2014
- Enzian Hosts Month-Long Tribute to Robin Williams in December 2014 - November 25, 2014
- Orlando Shakespeare Theater Presents A Christmas Carol December 3-28, 2014 - November 24, 2014
- Win a Family 4-Pack of Tickets to Marvel Universe Live! at Amway Center December 7, 2014 - November 23, 2014
- Lake Buena Vista Factory Outlets Opening at 10am Thanksgiving Day - November 22, 2014
- Gingerbread House Now Up at Disney’s Grand Floridian - November 21, 2014