Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- American Q Hosts Memorial Weekend Sunday BBQ at B Resort May 24 - May 22, 2015
- Teen Heartthrob Ross Lynch Visits Madame Tussauds Orlando to Unveil His Wax Figure - May 22, 2015
- Chef Mickey’s at Disney’s Contemporary Resort To Open For Brunch Starting May 31 - May 21, 2015
- SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Change Ticket Prices This Week - May 21, 2015
- Sunset Music Festival Will Make Tampa Dance May 23-24, 2015 - May 20, 2015
- Jack is Back for Halloween Horror Nights 25 at Universal Orlando! #HHN25 - May 20, 2015
- New Restaurant to Open at SeaWorld Orlando This Summer - May 19, 2015
- Get Ready to Meet a Dinosaur at Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure - May 19, 2015
- Walt Disney World Announces 13 New Retail and Dining Experiences Coming to Disney Springs - May 18, 2015
- WMMO Presents Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo in their Free Downtown Concert Series May 23, 2015 - May 18, 2015