Out and About: Dining at Border Grill Near Universal Orlando
Some of Orlando’s best restaurants are little hole-in-the-wall family owned places, and Border Grill definitely fits that bill.
Located near Universal Orlando, a block from the intersection of Vineland Rd and Kirkman Rd, the eatery is located in a small strip mall. It’s had many incarnations over the years, but I’m hoping this one stays for a long while.
There’s limited seating inside, but we lucked out and got the only table for four next to the window. The restaurant has a regular menu, along with a chalkboard next to the register with daily specials.
We ordered chips and salsa ($1.55) to share, and then we each ordered a chimichanga meal ($6.50), all with shredded beef (other choices include asada, carnitas, or grilled chicken). We also ordered fresh made watermelon water and horchata ($1.85 each) to drink.
The chimis were cooked to order, topped with nacho cheese, and served with sides of lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, beans and rice. The food was flavorful (even the rice, which at most places ends up being bland and dry), and a great value for the price.
I would definitely recommend Border Grill if you want fresh, great-tasting Mexican food at a wallet-friendly price. The only thing that would make this place better is more seating.
Border Grill is located at 5695-A Vineland Rd. Phone is 407-352-0101. Hours are Monday through Saturday 11am to midnight; closed on Sunday.
- CitySurfing Orlando’s Picks for Celebrating the 4th of July 2016 in Central Florida - June 27, 2016
- Marlow’s Tavern Offering Limited Time Burgers & Brews Menu - June 26, 2016
- 101.9 AMP Radio Hosts Electric Bounce House at House of Blues Orlando - June 25, 2016
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up June 24, 2016: The COOP, The Sanctum, Crafted - June 24, 2016
- LEGOLAND Florida Unveils New Daytona International Speedway Model - June 23, 2016
- Universal Orlando Releases New Volcano Bay Details - June 22, 2016
- Upcoming Pulse Benefit Events #OrlandoUnited #OrlandoStrong *UPDATED* - June 20, 2016
- All-Star Broadway for Orlando Benefit Single Available Today #OrlandoUnited - June 20, 2016
- Dr Phillips Center to Host Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen OneOrlando Fund Benefit #OrlandoUnited - June 19, 2016
- Imagine Dragons and Nate Ruess to Play #AllIsOne Orlando Benefit at Hard Rock Live - June 19, 2016