On opening night (January 10) of the Ringling Bros.and Barnum & Bailey circus touring show, Built to Amaze!, in Orlando, Florida, we were invited to join other local bloggers and writers in a suite at the Amway Center to watch the show.
We missed the opening pre-show entertainment waiting in line for our tickets at will call, but we made it in right before the main show got under way.
Now, I grew up in a town that was home to the Ringling Bros. circus and my first job was even with a circus, but this was the first time I’d seen one in over 10 years. I wasn’t sure what to expect, since our family blogger, Carol, had seen the show in Tampa and not really enjoyed it.
Well, whatever went wrong at that first show, it wasn’t the same show here in Orlando. The show I saw was fun, energetic, and entertaining. At least to myself, my guest, and those I talked to that night.
There were several acts that performed during the evening, and in between, there would be clowns or other things going on. There was always movement happening on the circus floor, and even in the air. Sometimes it was hard to decide where to look.
Among my favorite acts were Tabayara and his ring of tigers. Such beautiful and graceful animals.
The Fijord, Friesian and Arab horses were also graceful and favorites of both Patti and I.
My other favorites were the daredevils in the Wheel of Steel. Two wheels spun around as four acrobats (including one woman) maneuvered both inside and outside each wheel.
There were some parts I didn’t like. The ringmaster’s singing voice wasn’t the best, and he sang a lot. Also, the way the lighting rigs were set up, if you were in the 3rd level or higher (like we were), some parts of the show were blocked by lights. I couldn’t see the high wire act very well because of the rigs.
But over all, Built to Amaze! was a good show, and entertaining for all ages. It is here in Orlando through tomorrow, January 13, 2013. Tickets start at only $15, making it a great reason to bring the whole family for a fun time at the circus.
- The Capital Grille Hosts Chef Night at Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida Oct 26 - October 22, 2016
- Demolition Starts for The Delaney Hotel and Delaney’s Tavern in Downtown South - October 20, 2016
- SeaWorld Orlando Rescue Team Cares for 800-Pound Pregnant Manatee - October 20, 2016
- Romance Authors Come to Orlando for Shameless Book Con Oct 21-23 - October 19, 2016
- LEGOLAND Florida Announces Opening Date for LEGO Ninjago Attraction - October 18, 2016
- Sia Brings Tour to Amway Center in Orlando Oct 30 - October 18, 2016
- Maker Faire Orlando Returns for Fifth Anniversary Oct 22-23, 2016 - October 17, 2016
- Velvet Sessions At Hard Rock Hotel Presents Night Ranger October 27 - October 16, 2016
- Cows ‘N Cabs Returns to Winter Park Oct 22, 2016 - October 15, 2016
- Orlando Dining News Round-Up October 14 2016: Christner’s, The Meatball Stoppe, Central Florida Veg Fest - October 14, 2016