I shop Winn-Dixie every week. They’re right across the street from where I live, and their sale flyers always have great deals to help me put together my meals. This is especially important when I make holiday dishes to share with friends and family. Winn-Dixie is helping even further by offering a free Holiday Recipes to Impress e-book.
You can browse through the recipes in the gallery, and you can even submit recipes of your own, for inclusion in the final e-cookbook. Show others how you celebrate the local flavors of your area, or perhaps share family recipes of your own.
Here is one of my favorites, a different take on the traditional apple pie:
Bourbon Apple Crisp Shooters
- 4 cups chopped crisp all-purpose apples (such as Fuji)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir together fruit mixture ingredients until well combined. Place mixture in ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- In medium bowl, mix Topping ingredients with hands. Crumble topping over apples.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat Bourbon Cream ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until mixture begins to thicken. Gradually increase speed to high; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon warm apple crisp into shot glasses. Top each with bourbon cream. Serve warm.
To make a non-boozy version of this recipe, simply omit all of the bourbon.
The Winn-Dixie Holiday Website also has holiday recipes, tips for entertaining, and even a shopping list to make sure you get everything you need for your meal. There’s also information on ordering a pre-cooked holiday meal, with turkey or ham, starting at only $42.99 (serves 6-8), in case you’d rather leave that to someone else.
As if all this wasn’t enough, Winn-Dixie will be hosting a one-hour Holiday Twitter party on December 18, 2012, at 9pm (EST). During the event, you can discuss celebrating the holidays with local flavor, and they will be giving away several prizes, including a $500 gift card. For more information, and to RSVP to the twitter party, visit http://twtvite.com/WDLocalHoliday.
- Hard Rock International Announces New Hotel Location in Daytona Beach - June 20, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017
- Gods & Monsters Celebrates 2nd Anniversary June 17, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Orlando United Day is a Day of Rememberance - June 12, 2017
- Bite30 Returns in June 2017 with Orlando Dining Deals - June 5, 2017
- Wild Florida Welcomes Rare White Alligators and Launches Naming Contest - June 4, 2017
- Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express Returns June 6 Offering $1 Films for Families - June 3, 2017
- Spoleto in Winter Park Hosts Pasta Fest June 3-4 with Free Pasta and More - June 2, 2017
- Finding Neverland Flies Into the Dr Phillips Center in Orlando June 6-11, 2017 - June 1, 2017
- 139th Silver Spurs Rodeo Teams with Free School’s Out Blow Out June 2-3, 2017 - May 26, 2017