Some people go to the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival to see the cool topiaries designed to look like Disney characters. Some people go to hear the bands that play during the festival.
Well, whether you’re a hardcore horticulturist, or, like me, your green thumb is non-existent, the festival is fun for everyone. And it’s a nice transition from winter to spring, even without the snow (this is Florida, after all).
HGTV is presenting/sponsoring the event, which means guests can expect to meet many of the network’s personalities and hosts on the weekends. Genevieve Gordon will start things off the weekend of March 4-6, and Vern Yip will close things out the weekend of May 13-15.
The front entrance of Epcot will feature topiaries by the lead toys of Disney’s Oscar-nominated film “Toy Story 3,” including Woody, Buzz and Lotso Bear. This marks the first time that “Toy Story” characters have been featured at the festival. Also new will be a section devoted to the upcoming “Cars 2” sequel, featuring topiaries of Mater and Lightning McQueen.
Bambi’s Butterfly House has moved over by the Imagination Walkway by Innoventions West in Future World. It’s also more than double in size from previous years.
There will also be Disney Fairies signing autographs and posing for photos at the Pixie Hollow Fairy Garden, and the Tangled Magical Garden (featuring Rapunzel’s Tower) can be found in the World Showcase between Germany and Italy.
As headline entertainment, Walt Disney World is bringing back many classic pop and rock musicians from the 60s and the 70s for their Flower Power concert series. Different this year is that instead of daily concerts, the performances will be Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, only. That’s one change I’m not happy about – it means less musicians, plus I enjoyed going on weekdays, when there the crowds are smaller.
All of the International Flower & Garden Festival events are included with regular park admission to Epcot.
[Photo courtesy of Walt Disney World/Gene Duncan, photographer]
- Out and About: Christmas Comes to Gaylord Palms - November 21, 2017
- Central Florida International Auto Show Rolls Into Orlando November 23-26, 2017 - November 19, 2017
- The Status of CitySurfingOrlando.com - November 15, 2017
- The Phantom Returns in Love Never Dies at Dr Phillips Center Nov 21-26, 2017 - November 14, 2017
- Festival Of Trees Kickstarts The Holidays At Orlando Museum Of Art Nov 11-19, 2017 - November 10, 2017
- Out and About: The Glass Knife Debuts in Winter Park - November 9, 2017
- Out and About: Fresh Kitchen Opens in Waterford Lakes - November 3, 2017
- Central Florida Foodie Events for November 2017 - November 1, 2017
- Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Bring Soul2Soul World Tour to Central Florida Oct 2017 - September 25, 2017
- Dr Phillips Center Welcomes Back Bill Maher July 8, 2017 - June 19, 2017